When it comes to highlighters, BECCA, maker of the famous Champagne Pop, has a full range to make sure your glow game is on point. But perusing them along the shelves at Sephora can be confusing if you’re a highlighter newbie. For starters, they come in three different consistencies: a liquid, pressed powder, and poured crème which have subtle but specific differences. Luckily, BECCA Style Director, Kerry Cole, was on call to answer all our highlighter q’s. Read on to get her tips on how to choose the best one for you!
Can you tell us the difference between the three BECCA highlighters, and the kind of finish you can get with each?
“The liquid is a sheer, lightweight cream that has light-reflecting pearls that gives you a subtle glow. It’s great to mix with your foundation from a lit-from-within look. The pressed powder is a creamy powder for a high-shine finish. Finally, the poured crème gives you a mattified luminosity – a more sophisticated shimmer.”
Which highlighter would you recommend for different skin types?
“I find the liquid or poured crème formulas work best for dry or more mature skin since they add a little hydration to skin. Combination skin types can really wear any consistency, but I’d recommend oily skin types to stick to a powder or crème formula.
The shades are so pretty – what are your recommendations for the different skin tones?
“For light skin, I love soft, pale tones with golden highlights, like Moonstone or Pearl. For medium skin tones, opal, golden, or soft pink are so beautiful like Opal or the Rose Gold shades. For dark skin tones, anything with golden, bronze, or coppery highlights are perfect, like Topaz.”
So to recap:
- Liquid highlighter: Good for a subtle glow and easier to mix with foundation for a touch of brightness. Best for dry, mature, and combination skin types.
- Pressed powder: Good for a high-shine finish. Best for normal, combination, and oily skin types.
- Cream highlighter: Good for a mattified shimmer. Best for dry, mature, and combination skin types.
Kerry Cole’s highlighter shade recommendations for:
- Light skin: soft, pale tones with golden highlights
- Medium skin: opal, golden, and soft pink
- Dark skin: golden, bronze, or coppery highlights
Which highlighter would you pick? Leave your thoughts in the comments!