Glam master to the stars, Sam Fine has worked with legends along the lines of Iman, Queen Latifah, Vanessa Williams, Veronica Webb, Mary J Blige, Tyra Banks, and Jordan Dunn. When it comes to the top makeup talent for women of color, he’s one of most treasured resources the beauty industry has. Known for his skin-perfecting wizardry, #browsonfleek pro moves, and flawlessly applied lips, Fine’s portfolio of work never ceases to amaze. He also teaches his own hands-on masterclass once a year, which you can take for free, by purchasing his FINE: The Basics of Beauty DVD. We caught up with the artist extraordinaire to talk tips, tricks, and trusty products in his kit. Listen up, and take notes.
Sam Fine’s Top 5 Makeup Tips and Tricks
1. After applying foundation, separate a two-ply tissue and use one ply to blot any excess oil to achieve a more skin-like finish.
2. I own several shades of lipstick that aren’t matte. So after applying lipstick, I lay a tissue across the mouth and gently pat loose powder atop to set the lip color making the shade matte and more long-lasting.
3. I use a blow dryer to make crème foundations more malleable, blendable and move across the skin with ease.
4. Nude lipsticks can often go unnoticed on brown skin, so apply a brown lipliner one shade deeper than your skin tone BEFORE applying lipstick, to add dimension and weight.
5. I often use two shades of eyebrow pencil to draw a more believable, filled-in brow! Starting with a medium brown shade to add weight to the brow, then I apply a deeper shade of brown to add definition and drama to the tail of the brow. (*See my Instagram video for how to do this.)
Sam Fine’s Top 5 Products:
1. Black Opal Skin Perfecting Stick Foundation SPF 15, $10: Every look begins with a great foundation. I’m a huge fan of cream stick foundations and use a variety of brands ranging from Black Opal to Tom Ford. Cream foundations provide the ability to create a flawless finish and to contour/highlight the face with ease.
2. Hakuhodo Brushes, $14+: If brushes count as a favorite product, then add Hakuhodo to the list! Their wide range of shapes and sizes fit my hands and makeup needs perfectly.
3. Tom Ford Lipstick and Gloss, $36-60: Although liquid lipstick is all the rage, there’s something so sumptuous about a lipstick that provides coverage, creaminess, and gloss. Tom Ford lipsticks and glosses never leave my kit…unless Queen Latifah takes ’em!
4. Iman Luxury Pressed Powder, $16: It’s rare to find a great range of pressed powder shades for women of color from one brand, but Iman Cosmetics nailed it. Whether applied alone or over foundation, this pressed powder is a #FineFavorite!
5. Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Waterproof Eyeliner, $21: This unique formula allows me to draw the finest line or the most dramatic wing and did I mention that it lasts forever? Even on the teariest, “watery-eyed” client.
If you’re as obsessed with Sam Fine’s tips as we are, check out his Instagram page for more tips and celeb selfies.