If there’s one trend that’s going to take over 2019, it’s yoga skin. Yoga skin basically looks like you’ve just done five hours of down dog – your skin is super dewy and luminous AF. Think of it as the no-makeup makeup refresh for 2019. And, as obsessed as we were with ‘glass skin,’ it was damn hard to achieve with makeup, and unless you literally have flawless skin (and let’s be real, not many of us do), it was a pretty hard look to pull off!
The ‘yoga skin’ concept was first created by makeup artist Sara Hill, who explained, “I created The Yogaskin Technique to make skin look lit from within. Healthy, glowing, hydrated, radiant, sheer and natural. Skin that looks like skin at its very best.” Now that’s a trend we can get behind, 100%. To get the look, Sara mixes a luminous foundation, a facial oil, a skin illuminator, and glow drops. She then massages the combo into the skin with her hands to boost circulation and get a stunning natural finish.
The final look is stun-ning, but it got us wondering; how long will this look last for? At HB, we love good coverage and long-lasting makeup that gets us through our busy days without getting in the way. So, although we live for Sara’s technique, to make it longer-lasting and more oily skin-friendly, we decided to emit the face oil and simply use highlighters instead. We also have a technique for locking the look in place with a seriously dewy finish. Here’s our version of yoga skin:
Check out Sara Hill’s OG yoga skin technique:
To get the look, Sara combines:
- Foundation: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, $54, or Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous, $45, explaining, ‘I prefer a silky formula to create yoga skin, as matte formulas don’t work as well for this juicy look.’
- Facial Oil: Sara uses the Kiehls’ Daily Reviving Concentrate, $49, reasoning ‘I like oils packed with vitamins and quality ingredients.’
- Liquid Illuminator: Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Skin Liquid Lighting Highlighter, $54.
- Glow drops: Iconic London Illuminator Drops, $42. Sara says she loves these drops ‘For an extra glow and high-impact radiance.’
However, you can use different variations of the products above, whatever you prefer!
To create our complexion perfecting yoga skin mixture, we used:
- The Huda Beauty Overachiever Concealer, $34, but you can use any full coverage concealer. We also love the NYX Professional Makeup Hi Definition Photo Concealer Wand, $5. You could also use your fave foundation if you don’t want or need a full coverage finish.
- The Melted Strobe formula (a creamy pearl formula made with shea butter) from the Huda Beauty 3D Highlighter in Golden Sands, $57, but any other creamy, shimmery formula will work.
- The Bobbi Brown All Over Glow, $37, although a great drugstore alternative is the L’Oreal True Match Glow Amour Glow-Boosting Drops, $15.
- The DiorSkin Nude Air Serum Foundation, $53, is perfect for yoga skin, but if you want a more affordable option, we recommend the Bourjois City Radiance foundation, $12.
For the powder:
- Huda Beauty Easy Bake Loose Powder, $45, or you can also use the RCMA No Color Powder, $12 – it’s our fave drugstore setting powder (read the full review here).
- Makeup Addiction Pigments in Gold Diamond and French Manicure, $8.
Posts You'll Love:
Our Top Tips:
Prep your skin: The secret to nailing any skin trend is to prep your skin properly before you even think about applying any makeup. So double cleanse, exfoliate, tone and moisturize (and SPF for daytime) to create the perfect base for application.
Tailor it to your skin type: If you have super oily skin, we’d recommend ditching the oil to avoid the base slipping and any midday shine. Instead, use a lightweight foundation and liquid highlighter cream and shimmering primer to keep the foundation in place. If you have any blemishes that you want to conceal, you can. To finish, use a setting powder on your T-zone to control oil.
Complete the look:
Brows: Another trend that’s going to be big this year is more natural brows – thick, bushy, and unruly – so you can kiss super-defined Instagram brows goodbye! It’s hard, we know, but trust us, once you get into it you’ll never question it. We like to comb our brows through with The Diorshow Bold Brow, $27, it adds thickness and gives the brow a very natural, full finish. Remember to comb upwards until you get to the arch and then comb through at an upwards angle.
Blush: Blush is making a major comeback in 2019, and we’re high-key feeling it. Plus, flushed checks work perfectly with yoga skin. Use a crème blush, and a little to your lips too. Simply dab the blush on your lips using your finger – don’t worry about being too precise, the undefined edges complete the look perfectly. We’re obsessed with Glossier Cloud Paint, $18, as they have a gorgeous collection of shades.
Let us know if you vibe with this skin trend in the comments below.