A Celeb Hairstylist Reveals The Trends To Know For 2019
We’re always looking for new ways to reinvent our look, and a new hairstyle is one of the easiest ways to do it! As much as we hate to admit it, most of us have approximately three go-to styles that we alternate between – natural, a blow dry, and the occasional updo – but it’s time to mix things up. To give you some serious hairspo, we got in touch with one of Hollywood’s fave hairstylists, Justine Marjan, whose it-girl clientele includes the Kardashian-Jenner clan, Bella Hadid, and our gal power hero, Ashley Graham (just to name a few). Here’re five hair trends that she predicts will make it big in 2019 – and how to recreate the styles (obvs). If we’re going to listen to anyone, it’s Justine!
1. Dream of Genie Ponytails
“A thick, super high ponytail is universally flattering as it draws the eyes up, accentuates the cheekbones, and acts to gently lift the entire face,” Justine told us.
- Prep damp hair with ColorWow Dream Coat Anti Humidity Treatment, $28, then blow-dry smooth with the GHD Air Hairdryer, $150, and an R+Co Boar Bristle Round Brush, $85.
- When hair is dry, run a small amount of Tresemme Keratin Smooth Keratin Infusing Smoothing Serum, $6, throughout, then flat iron small sections with the GHD platinum plus styler, directing all the hair back.
- Spray roots directly with Tresemme Compressed Micro Mist Hairspray Extend, $10, then use a smoothing brush to gather hair half up and secure with a Kitsch Blackout elastic, $7. Repeat on the bottom section, adding the remaining hair to the half up ponytail.
- Wrap a Hidden Crown Hair Thick Clip-In Extension, $149, around the base of the ponytail, then wrap a piece of hair around the base to conceal. Spray with hairspray.
- Fill in any exposed hairline with brown eyeshadow, then use a small amount of Fatboy Hair Tough Guy Water Wax, $21, on a toothbrush to brush back the hairline.
2. Face Framing Hair Pins
“I recently launched my first collection of hair accessories with Kit.sch that includes these classic crystal oversized hairpins. I love these to place around the face to instantly amp up even the most simple hairstyles.” – We hear you, Justine!
Get the look: “To apply, make sure hair is styled as you want before adding in the hair accessories. Use your hands to hold the hair down below the placement, so that they can easily slide in the hair without messing up the style. Use the facial features as a guide for placement, such as the eyebrow arch, edge of the eyebrow, eye, cheekbones, etc.”
3. Bold Hair Colors
“Dom Forletta recently gave Ashley Tisdale this grungey pink do. Expect to see lots of icy blondes, pastel pinks, neons, and bold pops of color in the hair for 2019. Make sure you go to a hair colorist you trust to take you platinum first, without causing breakage to your hair. Remember that it may take a few appointments before you can get there.” Justine is right; a little patience is better than having to wear a hat for a few weeks to conceal your not so icy white locks.
Top tip: “Maintain the color by squeezing a small amount of hair dye into your favorite deep conditioner so that you can use it in the shower to keep it vibrant.”
Posts You'll Love:
4. Half-Up Hairstyles
“Your favorite half-up hairstyles aren’t going anywhere!” Justine told us, much to our relief. “Make it modern for 2019 by setting large curls with the GHD Curve Soft Curl Iron, $150, and OUAI Volumizing Hairspray, $26. You can even add length and volume with Hidden Crown Clip-in Extensions, $149.”
- Clip in Hidden Crown Clip-In Extensions in the back of the head only.
- Spray hair with OUAI Volumizing Hairspray then brush through.
- Curl hair with the GHD Curve Soft Curl Iron then pin to cool.
- Remove pins and brush through hair with a smoothing brush.
- Gather hair half up by spraying a smoothing brush directly with Tresemme Compressed Micro Mist Hairspray Extend, $10, and brushing up. Secure with a Kit.sch elastic.
- Gently back-brush through the hair to build volume.
5. 90’s Style Updos
“I love the 90’s for their messy, piecey, and playful twists on the updo! I created this look for Brittany Xavier by first creating tons of texture in her hair, then pulling it back, twisting, and pinning into place!”
- Create texture in the hair by twisting small sections with the GHD Classic Curl Iron in alternate directions, then scrunch R+Co Aircraft Pomade Mousse, $30, throughout.
- Leave out a small section in the front and pin away.
- Gather the hair above the ears back, then twist into a bun and pin into place with bobby pins. Repeat two more times on the remaining hair below.
- Unclip the front section, then seal in the look with Tresemme Compressed Micro Mist Hairspray Extend, $10.
Let us know which hairstyle is your fave in the comments below.