We’re all OBSESSED with having plump lips. We literally can’t even scroll down our Insta feed without seeing a full, juicy pout staring us in the face. Basically, we’re open to all kinds of ludicrous methods to achieve it – although maybe not taking on the Kylie Jenner challenge because we’ve all seen the horrific pictures of how that turned out! So, here’re nine DIY concoctions, techniques, and (safe) lip plumping tools you can use to enhance your lips for a more voluptuous look. These ingredients work by creating mild irritation to your lips, which increases blood flow. These are our tried and tested DIYs that actually WORK!
1. Toothpaste: Probably the quickest DIY ever, and it’s so simple: cover your lips with a thick layer of toothpaste and leave it on for just 10 seconds! Wipe it away, et voila, a smooth, plump pout.
2. Cinnamon: Cinnamon’s been used in beauty for thousands of years, and because it stimulates blood flow so effectively, it’s one of the main ingredients in a ton of lip plumpers. For a lip plumper on the go, add a couple of drops of cinnamon oil to your FAV lip gloss. For a more intense effect, mix cinnamon powder with a moisturizer like Vaseline, olive oil, honey, or any balm, and apply this to your lips for a minute or so before removing with a damp towel. You’ll notice an intense tingling; this just means it’s working!
3. Overlining and Contouring: This is still my favorite hack to date, and I think it’s probably the most effective for faking fuller lips in just minutes. The technique involves contouring and drawing slightly outside your natural lip line – check out my tutorial. It also makes your lipstick last ALLL day!
4. Wasabi: Believe it or not, Wasabi isn’t just delicious with your sushi; it will plump up your lips in less than a minute too. It might feel a little uncomfortable, but it’s got to feel better than an injection!
🐝NATURAL LIP FILLERS – get SOFT, PLUMP, FULL, lips without needles or sucking on cups or objects 😳🙄As you may have noticed, I have VERY wrinkly lips and its cold AF in Toronto so now theyre super dry too. Wrinkly + Dry = worst combination ever!! SOOO.. THIS one trick is a great way to get plump lips that look like youve had fillers – theyll be extremely soft, wrinkles will be filled in, theyll have a natural pink color, and theyll be so plump ppl will think youve had them done🙃 all you need is: ✅WASABI! – $4 for a tube at the grocery store or you can keep the leftovers from sushi dates 🍣 😛take a tiny amount and rub it all over your lips ⏰leave on for NO MORE THAN 1 minute wipe off with a damp cloth or baby wipe 💦moisturize IMMEDIATELY! I used my @farsalicare Rose Gold Elixir ✨- you can use whatever you prefer to moisturize your lips, the key is to make sure to moisturize! there you have ittttttt .. pillow soft lips! you can apply a lip color on top if youd like but i personally like how it looks with a plump natural pink color the plumpiness lasts a whole day for me – but everyone is different so results will vary from person to person. The wasabi does sting but it’s less than your traditional lip plumper and the effects last longer 😗 👯don’t forget to share this video with a friend who wants a lil plump job and help a sis outtttt and like this video 👍🏾 Disclaimer: As with any skin care regimen, always do a test patch first to see if your skin is allergic to any of the ingredients. Everyone’s skin is different, so result can vary from person to person. I can not vouch for any substitute ingredients. This post is provided for information and educational purposes. It is not designed or intended to constitute medical advice. Please discontinue use if your skin does not react well to the regimen.
5. Peppermint Oil: Like cinnamon, peppermint also causes a rush of blood to your lips. Mix peppermint oil with a little honey, apply to your lips and remove after one minute. Alternatively, add a few drops of peppermint oil to your lip balm or gloss and plump as you go.
6. Too Faced Lip Injection: This product really works, and I’ve been a fan of it for years! They’ve also released an extreme formula and colored gloss versions. Check out my review here.
7. Cayenne Pepper: This can get pretty hot and spicy, so if you can’t handle the heat, you might be better sticking with cinnamon. Just mix a pinch of cayenne pepper with a teaspoon of olive oil (I’ve been tempted to use a few drops of sriracha in the past – I LOVE it!) and apply a thick layer of the mixture to your lips. Leave on for 1-2 minutes (or as long as you can last), before wiping it away with a damp towel.
8. Lip Plumping Suction Tools: Okay, these are definitely something you need to be careful with (from experience they can hurt a little), as you can bruise your lips if you use them too intensely. However, if ‘suffer to be beautiful’ is your motto then this is definitely an effective cosmetic alternative.
9. The Ultimate Plumping Mix: If you’re feeling daring, then a potent combination of some of the above ingredients gives you crazy-good results! In a small container, combine ½ tsp of cayenne pepper, ½ tsp of cinnamon, a pinch of ginger powder, a drop of peppermint oil, and combine with 2 tsp of oil, like coconut oil or olive oil. Once the ingredients are well mixed, gently massage the mix into your lips for ten seconds and leave on for up to 2 minutes – if you can!
And finally (and most importantly!), just because bigger lips might be everywhere on Instagram, it doesn’t mean they’re the perfect look for every person! Everyone’s face is different, and we all suit different lip shapes and sizes, so stay steer clear of the shot glass hack or excessively using lip plumping devices. Not only can these cause short-term bruising, major swelling, and a lot of pain, but if done repeatedly they can destroy your lips’ natural collagen levels and weaken the skin tissue, causing a deflated look. So always be careful using unconventional methods. AND, that’s why we love lip contouring, it lasts all day and wipes away at night!