No matter how diligently you double cleanse, exfoliate, and use AHAs and BHAs in your routine, sometimes you just can’t get rid of blackheads. Blackheads are essentially a pore that becomes blocked with oil, dead skin and debris. The more sebum your pore secretes the more it pushes the wax-like plug towards the surface of the pore where the contents oxidize and turn black – et voila, a blackhead! The problem is, they can be really hard to extract without damaging your skin or potentially over-exfoliating with harsh products.
In comes the tool you’ve no doubt seen all over the internet; a little handheld tool that sucks out all the gunk and blackheads from your pores. There’s just one problem, they suck, and not in a way that they suck out your blackheads! Well, that was our experience with the many devices we tried from Amazon, that is until we tried a professional, high-tech tool made by a skincare genius, who even Meghan Markle and Victoria Beckham trust with their faces.
We’re talking about the Sarah Chapman Skinesis Pro Pore Refiner Pore Extraction Device, $205 (£128 in the UK), created by Sarah Chapman, aka the London-based celeb facialist with a luxury skincare line to match her magical in-office skills. We tried out the Pore Pro Refiner, and everyone in our office was blown away by how quickly and efficiently it detoxed our pores and vacuumed out our blackheads – literally, we compared pictures, which was gross but mindblowing.
What it is: The Pore Pro Refiner is a double-ended, three-step extraction device that uses heat, ionic cleansing technology, and ultrasonic vibrations to loosen congested pores before a suction setting extracts blackheads and debris trapped in pores.
Why the Pore Pro Refiner is different to other extraction devices: Unlike other blackhead suction devices you’ve no doubt seen before, this one has a different approach to blackhead extraction. The device combines ultra-advanced thermo-therapy and ionic cleansing to warm and soften the skin while ultrasonic vibrations loosen congested pores from deep within the dermis. This quick but effective step primes pores for optimal extraction so that when the targeted suction device is used, the oil and debris have already been loosened and are more easily removed from the pores.
How to Use the Pore Pro Refiner:
Using the device literally takes us 10 minutes from start to finish! It’s like the quickest facial we’ve ever had. It’s best to use this after a hot shower or bath, or we recommend steaming your face first, which will help to open your pores and soften the sebum – we usually use it just after a shower. Make sure you’ve thoroughly cleansed your skin first (of course, we recommend double cleansing).
Step 1. Thermo-therapy and ionic cleansing: The first phase creates gentle warmth while positively charged ions attract negatively charged dirt to the surface of the pores for easier extraction – pretty high-tech! You simply rub the flat metal end over damp skin for two minutes, focusing on the areas you want to target, like your nose, cheeks, forehead, and chin. It takes two minutes.
Step 2. Thermo-therapy and ultrasonic vibrations: Similar to step one, target the same areas with the flat end as heat and ultrasonic vibrations help to further dislodge debris and blockages. It takes two minutes.
Step 3. Extraction (the fun bit): Flip the device around and attach the plastic nozzle. Pull your skin taught and slowly move the device across your skin in an upward direction and be prepared to see some nasty stuff start to gather inside the nozzle.
The extraction program runs for one minute, but it usually takes us about six minutes to do our full-face thoroughly.
The results: Look away now if your squeamish, because we’re about to show you the (proud) results of what was extracted from our pores the first time we used this device (we know its what you came here to see)!
…Gross but wow!
This tool not only extracted most of our blackheads, but it also made our skin feel incredibly soft, and our pores looked tighter and much clearer after just one use. The more we’ve used the Pore Refiner Pro, the more we’ve noticed a reduction in whiteheads and breakouts – less dirt to start a pimple – and our skin feels smoother and our pores look better.
According to Sarah Chapman, there are about 20,000 pores on your face, so that’s a lot of opportunities for blackheads to build up. It also means that it’s unlikely you will get rid of everything in one go, so the more you use this, the better results you’ll see. The Skinesis team recommends using this once or twice a week if you have congested skin prone to blackheads, and then as time goes by, you will start to find that you need to use this less frequently.
Posts You'll Love:
Tips for using the Pore Pro Refiner:
– We recommend doing this in the evening before bed as it will make your skin a little red afterward.
– Try using the device after a workout, when the temperature of your skin is naturally hotter and your pores are open.
– For step three, there are three suction levels, we went straight to the strongest setting on tough blackheads, but if you have sensitive skin, start on the lowest setting and work your way up to level three if necessary.
– Don’t hold the device on one part of your skin for longer than a second or two because you will essentially give yourself a mini hickey.
– Once you’ve used the Pore Pro Refiner, wash your skin again with a gentle cleanser or use a little toner to detox pores and ensure there is no grime lingering on your skin, then continue with a hydrating skincare routine. We’re obsessed with the Sarah Chapman Intense Hydrating Booster Moisture Serum, $98, which is formulated with Bioecolia and Beta Glucan to activate the skin’s natural defenses against bacteria and irritants, plus hyaluronic acid and soothing rose water.
– We recommend avoiding harsh ingredients and scrubs a day before and after you use the Pore Pro Refiner.
– To clean the suction nozzle, rinse it with a little warm water and soap and twist a cotton bud inside the nozzle to remove any lingering blackheads from the tool. Once clean and dry, we like to spray the device and the nozzle with alcohol spray before storing it back in its box.
Our Verdict on the Pore Pro Refiner:
Based on our previous experiences, we weren’t sure what to expect with this, but we can confidently say this is the best and easiest blackhead-extraction tool we have ever used. The Pore Pro Refiner isn’t cheap, but for the results it gives, it’s an investment that you won’t regret – it essentially gives a professional-level facial, but one you can use at home every week, for years! The device comes in a case with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions, so even a complete skincare novice could confidently use this.
Considering the efficacy of this tool, the Pore Pro Refiner is going straight to the top of our ‘beauty tools that are worth every dollar list.’