This TikTok Derm Spills Her Top Skin Tips & Fave Weird Hacks!
TikTok has majorly blown up over the last 2 years. Among the viral dances and food recipes, we saw trusted dermatologists turning to TikTok to impart their wisdom on unusual skin issues while sharing their top skincare tips! It was somewhat unexpected, but totally genius! Who doesn’t want to get their skin advice straight from the people who literally studied skin for years and years? We know we definitely do!
We reached out to one of TikTok’s famous dermatologists to get her top skin tips and fave weird hacks. Meet Dr. Mamina Turegano, MD, a triple board-certified dermatologist – with a TikTok following of nearly 800k – a dermatopathologist, and internist. Her advice videos coupled with her brilliant dance moves, and her series ‘anti-aging advice from my Japanese mom’ – the energy we all need rn – have made her page fun, informative, and a genuinely joyful place to be and learn. Here’s all the tea we know you guys want to know straight from this gorgeous derm!
@dr.mamina A quick intro 😁 #tiktokdoc #holistichealth #tiktokpartner #learnontiktok #dermatology #skincare #integrativemedicine ♬ original sound – Mamina Turegano, MD
What are 5 skincare tips everyone should know?
1. Wash your face every day, especially in the evening to ensure you are washing off all the makeup, grime, and dirt from the day.
2. Wear sunscreen on your face ears neck and hands every day, even if you’re indoors or if it’s cloudy.
3. Moisturize on damp skin.
4. Starting in your 20s, adding in a retinoid product (over-the-counter retinol or prescription tretinoin aka Retin-A) can make a huge difference in skin wrinkling later in life (along with sunscreen of course).
@dr.mamina How to treat dem wrinkles ✨ #learnontiktok #edutok #tiktokdoctor #dermatologist #tiktokpartner #antiaging #skincare #skincareroutine #wrinkles #fyp ♬ Roses (Imanbek Remix) – SAINt JHN
5. I recommend regular exfoliation (exfoliation peel pads, solutions, or cleansers) ranging from 1-3 times per week depending on your skin type and the strength of the exfoliant. Our skin cell turnover starts to decrease as we get older, so it sometimes needs a little extra help.
What are your top 3 skincare products?
1. Sunscreen — this is important for protecting against skin cancer but it’s also the number one thing you can do to prevent signs of aging.
@dr.mamina Get your skin checked #dermatologist ♬ original sound – SPANKY YNVS
2. Retinoids — after sunscreen, retinoids can be very impactful at dealing with signs of aging, including wrinkles and hyperpigmentation, along with acne.
@dr.mamina The hero of skincare (after sunscreen of course) #dermatologist #skincare #tiktokdoc #beautyhacks #antiaging ♬ Believe Me – Navos
3. Vitamin C — this antioxidant has added skin protection benefits and is best when used with sunscreen in the morning. It also helps with building collagen and evening out hyperpigmentation.
What are some common skin myths you wish people didn’t believe?
@dr.mamina Some FAQs 😵💫 #dermatologist #skincare #learnontiktok #tiktokdoc ♬ nobody but theres no body in nobody – pitbull
1. Myth: “Sunscreen is only needed when outdoors for prolonged periods of time.”
Truth: Sunscreen should be used daily even if you’re not going outside or if it’s cloudy.
2. Myth: “A light tan is a healthy tan.”
Truth: Any level of tanned skin is a sign of UV damage to the skin cells
3. Myth: “I should wash my face more because I have oily skin.”
Truth: I recommend that people wash their face 1-2 times per day. More than that can be drying to the skin.
Posts You'll Love:
What are some TikTok skincare hacks you actually think are kind of genius?!
@dr.mamina More skin tips! My mom was so embarrassed. Send her some love! #learnontiktok #dermatologist #tiktokpartner #edutok #skincareroutine #fyp #foryoupage ♬ original sound – Mamina Turegano, MD
Well, one of my favorites is actually one that I posted of my mom’s skincare hack of rubbing a banana peel on your face. The reason why I like it is because it’s cheap and harmless (if you’re not allergic to bananas), so why not try it? I asked my mom where she heard of this and she said she just started doing it on her own!
@dr.mamina My mom thanks you for all the love 🙏🏼 #antiaging #dermatologist #learnontiktok #tiktokdoc #tiktokpartner #skincare #skincareroutine #foryoupage #fyp ♬ original sound – Mamina Turegano, MD
I’ve seen a couple of videos about improving your chin and jawline by touching the roof of your mouth with your tongue and holding it there. I don’t recall there being much in the medical literature about this but once again, it’s cheap and easy to do.
@lili_yavorski #hahaha #faceyoga #facecare #facemassage #facemagic #faceexercise #facetime #морщины #ботокс #иньекциикрасоты ♬ оригинальный звук – Olga Lazareva
What are the biggest skin mistakes people make?
@dr.mamina Just saying #dermatologist #skincare #tiktokdoc #learnontiktok #antiaging #skincaretiktok ♬ Dougie x Breakfast x Chosen – Kuya Magik
- Using tanning beds — they are a carcinogen and I see way more patients with skin cancer when they have a history of tanning bed use during their younger years.
- Not wearing sunscreen every day — consistent use of a daily sunscreen (not the type of sunscreen) has been shown to make the most difference.
- Going to bed without washing your makeup off.
- Over-exfoliating and overwashing your face — this will cause unnecessary irritation, strip the natural oils, and damage your skin barrier.
- Picking at skin — this leads to prolonged healing along with more damage and scarring.
What do you love most about your job?
I love the relationships that I have built with patients over the years. Dermatology is also a very fun field that covers a wide variety of areas — adults, kids, surgery, medical, cosmetic, pathology — so it’s never a dull moment.
Do you have any derm secrets we might not have heard before?
I don’t think this is so much a secret, but I love freezing green teabags and wearing them over my eyes to help with puffiness and dark circles.