The Verdict On Wearing Makeup To The Gym... Should You?
There are two types of people in this world, people who wear makeup to the gym and those who don’t. Both teams normally have strong beliefs, but team makeup would never be caught without their brows and contour, even in the gym. So we’ve got the final verdict on whether it is actually really bad for your skin, or not. And seeing as you’re already putting the effort in and dragging your booty to the gym, the last thing you need to worry about is if it’s going to result in a breakout. If you can’t bear the thought of being barefaced while you’re burning off that cheat meal, we’ve got some tips on wearing workout makeup with minimal damage to your skin. Basically, we’ve got you.
Is wearing makeup to the gym bad for your skin?
Sweating – it’s a natural bodily function that no one can avoid no matter how much antiperspirant we use, so when we workout we will inevitably sweat. But as our body temperature increases and we begin to perspire our pores begin to open. It’s at this point that your products will begin to seep into your skin, blocking your pores and eventually leading to breakouts.
Unfortunately, the problem doesn’t end there, as makeup provides a home for bacteria to cling onto (without it, you would naturally just sweat everything out). And even if you’re not rubbing your face against the dirty floor (although if you’re a yogi, you actually might), but you constantly touch your face with your hands. Touching your face at any time should be avoided, but imagine how much bacteria is on them when you’ve been touching the germs and dirt on the bike handle or a weight. This can be a major cause of breakouts, as all this dirt is transferred to your face and makeup, which is slowly seeping into your pores.
Another HUGE carrier of dirt is your gym towel. Think about it, so many of us just toss it onto the floor or a machine without even thinking about the fact we’re later going to use it to mop up our sweat – gross, we know!
Posts You'll Love:
Although wearing makeup to the gym won’t cause any permanent damage, like premature aging, it’s still not good for your skin. Ideally, you should remove your makeup before your workout with a gentle gel or foam cleanser. Check out or pre-gym skincare routine here.
How to wear makeup to the gym
If you couldn’t imagine anything worse than braving the gym makeup-free, then follow these quick tips…
- If you’re going to wear mascara, just make sure it’s water-resistant – there’s nothing worse than being caught looking like a panda!
- We love a brow gel! They won’t cause you to break out, and we all know how important brows are. A strong formula like Maybelline’s Tattoo Studio Brow Gel, $13, is completely sweatproof.
- Try spot covering with a little concealer to cover any problem areas. If you must have a full-face, opt for lightweight products like a tinted moisturize or a mineral powder foundation, which is more natural but provides good coverage.
- Try makeup that’s formulated to wear to the gym, like Clinique’s ClinqueFIT line, which is made up of lightweight products, that are 100% fragrance and oil-free, and have a matte finish. They’ve also been tested so that they won’t irritate your skin when it mixes with your sweat, and of course, it’s long-lasting too.
- Finally, if you’re going to wear makeup to the gym, make sure you remove it post-workout, ASAP. Even if you’re going out afterward, wash your face and reapply your makeup – this is so essential!
Just make sure whatever makeup you decide to wear, your makeup doesn’t end up like this…
Which gym group are you: Team Makeup or Team Natural? Let us know in the comments.